REN is a popular natural and clean skincare brand but is REN cruelty-free?
Is REN Cruelty-Free?
REN is cruelty-free; none of REN Clean Skincare products or ingredients are tested on animals, anywhere in the world.
However, it should be noted that REN is owned by Unilever, a parent corporation that does
In 2015, REN was acquired by Unilever, a corporation that is sadly still testing on animals in 2019. Many cruelty-free consumers have since chosen to stop buying REN Skincare as they feel their purchases are indirectly supporting and funding more animal testing done by their parent company, Unilever. To read more about some of the reasons to buy or boycott cruelty-free brands owned by a non-cruelty-free parent company, check out this post here.
Although REN is owned by Unilever, the brand has always remained committed to being a cruelty-free brand.
REN Animal Testing Policy
On REN’s website, it states that REN does not test any of their products on animals or ask others to test on their behalf.
Below is a screenshot of what is currently stated on REN’s website:
Unilever’s acquisition of REN in 2015 had me a little concerned about the possibility of REN selling their products in mainland China, like some other Unilever subsidiary brands, where they are required to test on animals per China’s animal testing laws.
So I emailed REN to ask if there would be any changes to their animal testing policy and cruelty-free status and they responded with the following:
“REN started as an independent company established in 2000. As of May 2015, it has been owned by Unilever. We can confirm that despite this change, REN’s policy of no animal testing remains in place.
Finally, I can confirm that our products are not sold in mainland China.“
I am so happy that REN will always remain committed to staying as a cruelty-free brand! As a result, we are happy to add REN to our list of cruelty-free brands, however, with a note that REN is owned by a parent company that tests on animals.
Is REN Vegan?
Not all of REN Skincare is vegan as some contain honey, beeswax, milk and/or other animal ingredients, however, REN does offer some vegan products.
Please reference below for a list of REN vegan products.
REN Vegan Product List
Below is a list of REN products that are considered vegan and do not contain any animal-derived ingredients or by-products:
- & Now to Sleep Pillow Spray
- Atlantic Kelp & Microalgae Anti-Fatigue Bath Oil
- Atlantic Kelp & Magnesium Anti-Fatigue Body Cream
- Atlantic Kelp & Magnesium Anti-Fatigue Body Wash
- Atlantic Kelp & Magnesium Energising Hand Lotion
- Atlantic Kelp & Magnesium Energising Hand Wash
- Atlantic Kelp & Magnesium Anti-Fatigue Exfoliating Body Scrub
- Atlantic Kelp & Microalgae Anti-Fatigue Toning Body Oil
- Bio Retinoid Anti-Wrinkle Concentrate Oil
- Citrus Limonum Prebiotic Hand Cream
- Clarimatte Clarifying Toner
- Clarimatte Invisible Pores Detox Mask
- Clarimatte T-Zone Balancing Gel Cream
- Clean Screen Mineral SPF 30 Mattifying Face Sunscreen
- Clearcalm 3 Clarity Restoring / Acne Treatment Mask
- Clearcalm 3 Replenishing Gel Cream
- Clearcalm Non-Drying Acne Treatment Gel
- Evercalm Global Protection Day Cream
- Flash Defence Anti-Pollution Mist
- Guerande Salt Exfoliating Body Balm
- Keep Young and Beautiful Instant Brightening Beauty Shot Eye Lift
- Keep Young and Beautiful Instant Firming Beauty Shot
- Multi-Tasking After Shave Balm
- Moroccan Rose Gold Glow Perfect Dry Oil
- Moroccan Rose Otto Bath Oil
- Moroccan Rose Otto Body Lotion
- Moroccan Rose Otto Sugar Body Polish
- Moroccan Rose Otto Ultra-Moisture Body Oil
- Neroli & Grapefruit Body Cream
- Pro-Vitamin Conditioner
- Ready Steady Glow Daily AHA Tonic
- Rosa Centifolia 3-in-1 Cleansing Water
- Rosa Centifolia Gentle Exfoliating Cleanser
- Rosa Centifolia No.1 Purity Cleansing Balm
- Rose O12 Moisture Defence Oil
- Sirtuin Phytohormone Replenishing Cream
- Tamanu High Glide Shaving Oil
- Ultra Moisture Day Cream
- V-Cense Revitalising Night Cream
- Vita Mineral Active 7 Eye Gel
- Vita Mineral Daily Supplement Moisturising Cream
- Vita Mineral Omega 3 Optimum Skin Oil
This vegan product list is updated as frequently as possible, please be aware that formulations may have changed since the publication of this post. If you have new information to suggest one of the above products isn’t vegan, please email me at email@example.com to let me know.