This post may contain affiliate links that at no additional cost to you, I may earn a small commission.
Beauty Kitchen is Cruelty-Free
Beauty Kitchen has confirmed they do not test their products or ingredients on animals or ask others to test on their behalf. Their suppliers also do not test on animals, nor do they allow their products to be tested on animals when required by law. And finally, their products are not sold in stores in mainland China or any other country that may require animal testing.
By our standards, we would consider Beauty Kitchen to be Cruelty-Free.
“we do not believe in testing on animals at all and 100% of our products are Leaping Bunny Cruelty Free International certified.“
Note that there is no legal definition for the label ‘Cruelty-Free.‘ It can mean different things to different people. But Cruelty-Free is generally used to imply no animal testing. More specifically, the ingredients, formulation, or finished product are not tested on animals at any stage of product development.
At ethical elephant, we always assess a company’s cruelty-free policy using our Cruelty-Free Checklist. This ensures no animal testing was performed by the brand itself, its suppliers, and by any third parties.
Also, note that Cruelty-Free and Vegan don’t always mean the same thing.
Beauty Kitchen is Not 100% Vegan
‘Vegan’ in cosmetics can refer to an entire brand that is 100% Vegan or a specific product is vegan.
In the case of Beauty Kitchen, not all of their products are vegan. But they have some products that are suitable for vegans.
How to know which of Beauty Kitchen products are vegan?
Beauty Kitchen marks all of its vegan products on its website.
“Over 95% of our range is vegan and the other 5% is vegetarian (sometimes we use beeswax). On top of that, all of our vegan products are officially registered with the Vegan Society.”
Similar to ‘Cruelty-Free,’ there is no standard or legal definition for the label ‘Vegan.’ But it’s usually used in the context to describe something that doesn’t contain any animal-derived ingredients or animal by-products.
Some common animal products used in cosmetics include carmine, lanolin, snail mucus, beeswax, honey, pearl or silk-derived ingredients, animal-based glycerin, keratin, and squalene.
There are plant-based and synthetic alternatives to animal-derived ingredients. But it’s sometimes difficult to know with certainty whether a product is vegan just by reading the ingredient list.
So it’s best to ask the company and manufacturers to ensure the ingredients they’ve chosen to use were from non-animal sources.
Ethical Mica Mining Policy
Mica is a mineral that’s used in cosmetics to add a shimmery effect. But the mining of natural mica has been linked to child labor and human rights violations.
Unless a company publicly addresses its mica mining policy, we have no way of knowing whether its mica is ethically sourced without child or forced labor.
So I asked Beauty Kitche if their mica is ethically sourced without the use of child labor and they responded by stating,
“Our mica is responsibly sourced from India, we work in partnership with IGEP Foundation (Indo-German Export Promotion Project) a local non-government organisation which arranges unannounced audits every month to check the labour conditions in the mines including occupational safety and adherence to the ban on child labour. Complimentary to this, environmental resource management (ERM), an international consultancy conducts annual audits investigating both working conditions as well as environment and health and safety issues. The supplier that we work with finances 3 schools and affiliated day care centre as well as 2 vocational training centres. The glitter effect that you see in our Glitter balm is produced using natural micas and fluorine micas. Due to our BCorp certification we have to source our ingredients through multi attribute which includes impact on environment, impact on people, impact on wildlife and impact on commercials. We never source anything by looking at only one signal attribute.“