Weleda is a certified natural beauty brand but is Weleda cruelty-free and vegan in 2021? We’ve got the answers here!
Is Weleda Cruelty-Free?
Weleda is Cruelty-free! None of Weleda’s ingredients, formulations, or finished products are tested on animals, anywhere in the world.
Weleda Animal Testing Policy
Weleda has confirmed they do not test their products or ingredients on animals, they do not allow others to test on their behalf, their suppliers also do not test on animals, they do not allow their products to be tested on animals when required by law, and their products are not sold in stores in mainland China or any other country that may require animal testing.
Below is a screenshot of Weleda’s official animal testing statement:
Is Weleda Sold in China?
All imported cosmetics sold in mainland China are required by law to be tested on animals. However, Weleda sells only its toothpaste and bars of soaps in China. And toothpaste and soap bars are not defined as “cosmetics” in China and therefore Weleda is not required to test on animals.
Weleda explains its position on selling its toothpastes and soaps in China on their UK website, stating:
I also asked them about post-market animal testing which is where Chinese officials will pull a beauty product off store shelves and test it on animals. This is often done without the company’s knowledge or consent. Weleda kindly responding by saying,
“First of all, there is no reason to believe that our soaps and dental care products would be subject to after-market testing in shops, since they are in no way classified as products (such as cosmetics) for which animal testing is seen as necessary by the Chinese authorities. We know that these products are not subject to testing based on our local contacts, and this has also been confirmed to us by a representative of Humane Society International working in China, as well as the Institute for In Vitro Sciences, which collaborates with PETA. We follow regulatory developments in China closely, and we react immediately to any developments. If the current situation should change, any affected products would immediately be withdrawn from the Mainland Chinese market.Our presence in China has always been small, but we do think that it is worth being there if it means that we can spread awareness of the benefits of natural cosmetics, and meet the needs of Chinese consumers for this type of product. We would not be selling any product in China if we had reason to believe that animals would be hurt because of this.”
Is Weleda Vegan?
Not all of Weleda’s products are vegan as some of their products contain animal-derived ingredients or by-products. However, Weleda does have some vegan options.
Below is a list of Weleda vegan products.
The following is a screenshot of what’s currently stated on Weleda’s official website about its vegan products:
Weleda Vegan Product List
The following Weleda products are suitable for vegans and do not contain any animal-derived ingredients or by-products.
You can also find out which of their products are vegan as they’re labelled accordingly on their website under each product description.
Face Creams & Oils
- Awakening Day Cream – Pomegranate
- Awakening Eye Cream – Pomegranate
- Awakening Night Cream – Pomegranate
- Awakening Serum – Pomegranate
- Sensitive Care Calming Oil – Almond
- Skin Revitalizing Day Cream – Evening Primrose
- Citrus Hydrating Body Lotion
- Evening Primrose Age Revitalizing Body Lotion
- Replenishing Hand Cream – Pomegranate
- Sea Buckthorn Replenishing Body Lotion
- Wild Rose Pampering Body Lotion
- Awakening Body & Beauty Oil – Pomegranate
- Cellulite Body Oil – Birch
- Hydrating Body & Beauty Oil – Sea Buckthorn
- Muscle Massage Oil – Arnica
- Refreshing Body & Beauty Oil – Citrus
- Relaxing Body & Beauty Oil – Lavender
- Revitalizing Body & Beauty Oil – Evening Primrose
- Almond Soothing Body Wash
- Arnica Sports Shower Gel
- Citrus Creamy Body Wash
- Evening Primrose Revitalizing Body Wash
- Lavender Creamy Body Wash
- Men Active Shower Gel
- Pomegranate Creamy Body Wash
- Sea Buckthorn Creamy Body Wash
- Wild Rose Creamy Body Wash
- Citrus 24H Deodorant
- Citrus 24h Roll-On Deodorant
- Men 24h Roll-On Deodorant
- Pomegranate 24h Roll-On Deodorant
- Sage 12H Deodorant
- Wild Rose 24H Deodorant
Baby & Mommy Care
- 2in1 Gentle Shampoo + Body Wash – Calendula
- Calendula Soap
- Baby Tummy Oil
- Comforting Baby Oil – Calendula
- Comforting Cream Bath – Calendula
- Stretch Mark Massage Oil
- Millet Nourishing Shampoo
- Oat Replenishing Conditioner
- Oat Replenishing Shampoo
- Oat Replenishing Treatment
- Rosemary Conditioning Hair Oil
- Wheat Balancing Shampoo
This vegan product list is updated as frequently as possible, please be aware that formulations may have changed since the publication of this post. If you have new information to suggest one of the above products isn’t vegan, please email me at [email protected] to let me know.
Not Vegan – Weleda
The following products from Weleda are not vegan as they contain beeswax, lanolin, milk, or some other animal-derived ingredient:
- After Shave Balm – not vegan
- Age Revitalizing Concentrate – not vegan
- Age Revitalizing Eye and Lip Cream – not vegan
- Age Revitalizing Night Cream – not vegan
- Baby Tummy Oil – not vegan
- Birch Body Scrub – not vegan
- Calendula Body Cream – not vegan
- Calendula Body Lotion – not vegan
- Calendula Cream Bath – not vegan
- Calendula Face Cream – not vegan
- Cold Cream – not vegan
- Diaper Care Cream with Calendula – not vegan
- Evening Primrose Age Revitalizing Hand Cream – not vegan
- Everon Lip Balm – not vegan
- Foot Cream – not vegan
- Hydrating Day Cream – not vegan
- Hydrating Facial Lotion – not vegan
- Hydrating Night Cream – not vegan
- Moisture Cream for Men – not vegan
- Nail Care Pen – not vegan
- One Step Cleanser & Toner – not vegan
- Renewing Eye Cream – not vegan
- Renewing Facial Lotion – not vegan
- Renewing Night Cream – not vegan
- Rose Soap – not vegan
- Salt Toothpaste – not vegan
- Sea Buckthorn Hand Cream – not vegan
- Sensitive Skin Cleansing Lotion – not vegan
- Sensitive Skin Facial Cream – not vegan
- Sensitive Skin Facial Lotion – not vegan
- Shaving Cream – not vegan
- Skin Food – not vegan
- White Mallow Body Lotion – not vegan
- White Mallow Diaper Care Cream – not vegan
- White Mallow Face Cream – not vegan
- Wild Rose Oil – not vegan
I hope this article helped you to understand Weleda’s cruelty-free and vegan status and by choosing cruelty-free together, we can help end animal testing for cosmetics once and for all!
If you liked this cruelty-free resource, then please subscribe to our monthly newsletter for more resources and guides to living your BEST cruelty-free and vegan life! You can also find us on Instagram and Facebook.