This post may contain affiliate links that at no additional cost to you, I may earn a small commission.
Tarte Cosmetics makeup, skincare & beauty products are made with high-performance naturals. But is Tarte cruelty-free, vegan, or sustainable? I’ve got the answers here!
Is Tarte Cruelty-Free?
Tarte is Cruelty-free! None of Tarte’s ingredients, formulations, or finished products are tested on animals, anywhere in the world.
However, it should be noted that Tarte is owned by Kose, a parent corporation that does test on animals when required by law.
Tarte Animal Testing Policy
Tarte Cosmetics has confirmed they do not test their products or ingredients on animals or ask others to test on their behalf. Their suppliers also do not test on animals nor do they allow their products to be tested on animals when required by law. And finally, their products are not sold in stores in mainland China or any other country that may require animal testing.
Below is what’s currently stated on Tarte’s website:
Tarte Acquired by Kose
In 2014, Tarte was acquired by Kose, a Japanese multinational corporation that does test on animals when required by law.
Although Tarte is owned by Kose, Tarte Cosmetics has remained committed to being a cruelty-free brand.
Is Tarte Vegan?
Not all of Tarte’s products are vegan as some of their products contain beeswax, carmine, lanolin, or other animal-derived ingredients and by-products. However, Tarte does have some vegan options.
Please reference below for a list of Tarte vegan products.
You can also find out which of their products are vegan as they’re all marked accordingly on their website in the product description. See below for an example.
Tarte Vegan Product List
As of 2021, I will no longer be regularly updating this list of Tarte’s vegan products as all of their vegan products are now clearly marked. Check their website for the most up-to-date and accurate information on which products are vegan or not.
Below is a list of Tarte products that are suitable for vegans and do not contain any animal-derived ingredients or by-products.
Foundation Tarte Vegan
- amazonian Clay Full Coverage Foundation
- amazonian Clay Airbrush Foundation
- amazonian Clay BB Tinted Moisturizer
- babassu foundcealer™ skincare foundation
- BB Tinted Treatment 12-hour Primer
- clay Stick Foundation
- face tape™ foundation
- maracuja tinted moisturizer
- rainforest of the Sea Water Foundation
- shape Tape Matte Foundation
- sugar rush™ skin treat blurring skin tint
- water foundation
Concealer Tarte Vegan
- aquacealer Concealer
- colored clay CC primer
- creaseless concealer
- hydrocealer concealer
- shape Tape Concealer
Prime & Set Tarte Vegan
- base tape hydrating primer
- colored Clay CC Primer
- filtered Light Setting Powder
- first step prep moisture reset cream
- lid Lock Clay Eye Base
- poreless Mattifying Primer
- rainforest of the Sea 4-in-1 Setting Mist
- rainforest of the Sea™ quench hydrating primer
- ready, Set, Radiant Skin Mist
- set & go mineral powder
- shape Tape 12-hour Eye Primer Stick
- shape tape™ pore & prime balm
- shape tape™ pressed powder
- shape tape setting powder
- shape tape™ stay spray vegan setting spray
- smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Finishing Powder
- smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Pressed Finishing Powder
Blush, Bronze, Highlighter Tarte Vegan
- amazonian Clay Matte Waterproof Bronzer
- amazonian clay waterproof bronzer
- breezy cream bronzer
- brighter days highlighting moisturizer
- don’t Be Afraid to Dazzle Contour Highlight Palette
- goddess Glow Highlighter
- life of the party clay blush palette & clutch
- shape tape glow wand
- skin gloss glass highlighter
- skin Twinkle Lighting Palette
- sugar rush™ beach cheeks cream blush
- sugar rush™ fresh & frosted highlighter palette
- sugar rush™ sun & fun baked bronzer
- sugar rush™ sweet slice eye & cheek palette
- the Sculptor Contouring Face Slenderizer
- treaure pot glitter gel
Mascara & Lashes Tarte Vegan
- big ego™ vegan mascara
- gifted Amazonian Clay Smart Mascara
- lash paint™ mascara
- lights, Camera, Lashes 4-in-1 Mascara
- lifted Sweatproof Mascara
- sugar rush™ lights, camera, lashes 4-in-1 mascara™
- surfer curl™ volumizing mascara
- Tarteist Lash Paint Mascara
- Tarteist PRO Cruelty-free Lashes
- Tarteist PRO Lash Adhesive
Brows Tarte Vegan
- Amazonian Clay Volumizing Brow & Hair Powder
- Amazonian Clay Waterproof Brow Mousse
- Amazonian Clay Waterproof Brow Pencil
- Busy Gal BROWS Tinted Brow Gel
- double take eyeliner
- fill service™ brow brush & spoolie
- frameworker™ brow pomade
- sketch & set™ brow pencil & tinted gel
- Tarteist Clear Brow Gel
Eyeliners Tarte Vegan
- double duty beauty™ easy on the eyes clay liner
- Fake Awake Eye Highlight
- Lighters, Camera, Lashes Precision Longwear Liquid Eyeliner
- Maneater Liquid Eyeliner
- Sex Kitten Eyeliner
- Sex Kitten Liquid Liner
- So Fine Micro Liner
- sugar rush™ easy on the eyes clay liner
- sugar rush™ preppy precision liner
- Tarteist Clay Paint Liner – Black, Gold, Silver
- Tarteist Double Take Eyeliner
- tarteist™ REMIX double take eyeliner
Eyeshadow Palette Tarte Vegan
- lid lock clay eye base
- liquid chrome paint metallic pigment
- Rainforest of the Sea limited-edition eyeshadow palette
- Rainforest of the Sea Foil Finger Paints Shadow Palette
- Rainforest of the Sea Highlighting Eyeshadow Palette Vol. III
- Rainforest of the Sea™ seaglass eyeshadow
- sugar rush™ cosmic glitter
- sugar rush™ goals goals goals eyeshadow palette
- sugar rush™ lid poppers glitter & adhesive
- sugar rush™ limited-edition surf babe eye & cheek palette
- sugar rush™ summer playlist eye & cheek palette
- sugar rush™ sunbeams & daydreams eyeshadow palette set
- busy gal gloss
- Color Splash Hydrating Lipstick
- crystal crème lip cream
- Drench Lip Splash Lipstick
- jelly glaze anytime lip mask
- Lippie Lingerie Matte Tint
- LipSurgence Lip Gloss
- LipSurgence Skintuitive Lip Gloss
- maneater™ plump & prowl lip plumper
- Maracuja Juicy Lip
- Quench Lip Rescue
- sting zing lip plumping serum
- sugar rush™ best bud lip butter balm
- sugar rush™ couple goals double-ended lip gloss
- sugar rush™ lip sip vegan lip oil
- sugar rush™ sugar coat velvet liquid lipstick
- Tarteist Creamy Matte Lip Paint
- Tarteist Glossy Lip Paint
- tarteist™ holographic lip gloss
- Tarteist Lip Bling
- The Lip Sculptor Lipstick & Lip gloss
- All Tarte Makeup Brushes are Vegan
- baba bomb
- base tape hydrating primer
- blot party on-the-go mattifiers
- Brazilliance™ 2HR express deep foaming self-tanner
- Brighter Days Highlighting Moisturizer
- busy gal base-ics complexion essentials set
- clean queen vegan deodorant
- cosmic maracuja concentrated face balm
- Deep Dive Cleansing Gel
- Drink of H2O Hydrating Boost Moisturizer
- frxxxtion stick 3-in-1 exfoliating cleanser
- gleam beam shimmer spray
- knockout brightening gel moisturizer
- knockout daily exfoliating cleanser
- knockout tingling treatment
- Pack Your Bags Undereye Patches
- Rainforest of the Sea 4-in-1 Setting Mist
- Rainforest of the Sea™ deep sea collagen super serum
- Rainforest of the Sea™ quench hydrating primer
- Ready, Set, Radiant Skin Mist
- maracuja C-brighter™ eye treatment
- Maracuja Neck Treatment
- Maracuja Oil
- mermaid skin™ hyaluronic H2O serum
- micellar magic makeup remover & cleanser
- set & go mineral powder
- shape tape™ moisturizer
- shape tape™ pore & prime balm
- shape tape™ waterproof body makeup
- sugar rush™ cake butter whipped body butter
- sugar rush™ coco-nuts about you makeup removing biodegradable wipes
- sugar rush™ don’t hate, hydrate oil-free moisturizer
- sugar rush™ shimmertime body oil
- sugar rush™ squeezy clean face wash
- sugar rush™ star factor cleansing face brush
- sugar rush™ treat yo selfie drying solution
- Tight & Bright Clay Multi-Mask
- youth or dare™ multi-acid & C serum
Is Tarte Sustainable?
Tarte’s headquarters is based in: USA
Tarte’s products are manufactured in: the US, Europe, and other countries abroad, some products state where its made in the description on Tarte’s website.
“Our formulas and products are very important to us, so we work with respected suppliers and manufacturers in the US, Europe and other countries abroad who have strong expertise in beauty and packaging materials.”
Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to find any public information on Tarte’s sustainability and environmental initiatives.
Tarte claims they work with cooperatives in the rain forest to ensure the ingredients they source, like their maracuja oil and Amazonian clay, are sustainably harvested.
Giving Back Initiatives: Tarte also claims to be in partnership with the Sea Turtle Conservancy, as well as, contribute to organizations like Habitat for Humanity, March of Dimes, & Step Up.
Ingredients and Formulations Claims: All of Tarte’s products are formulated without gluten, parabens, mineral oil, phthalates, sodium lauryl sulfate, & triclosan.
Is Tarte Cosmetics’ Mica Ethically-Sourced? Tarte claims their suppliers and manufacturers are audited to prevent slavery and human trafficking in their supply chain. However, they didn’t specifically address the ethical sourcing of their mica and it’s not clear where Tarte sources their mica from.
“Thanks for contacting tarte Customer Service. Our formulas and products are very important to us, so we work with respected suppliers and manufacturers in the US, Europe and other countries abroad who have strong expertise in beauty and packaging materials. These suppliers and manufacturers are audited to prevent slavery and human trafficking in our supply chain.
All ingredients and finished formulas tarte uses are tested and based on US FDA requirements before being imported or sold in the US. We only work with highly reputable laboratories and factories that meet the strictest GMP standards, which is an international grading scale for cleanliness and the environment for workers that abide by a strict code of standards.”
I hope this article helped you to understand Tarte’s cruelty-free and vegan status and by choosing cruelty-free together, we can help end animal testing for cosmetics once and for all!