This post may contain affiliate links that at no additional cost to you, I may earn a small commission.
PÜR Cosmetics is Cruelty-Free
PUR Cosmetics has confirmed they do not test their products or ingredients on animals or ask others to test on their behalf. Their suppliers also do not test on animals, nor do they allow their products to be tested on animals when required by law. And finally, their products are not sold in stores in mainland China or any other country that may require animal testing.
By our standards, we would consider PUR Cosmetics to be Cruelty-Free.
Below is a screenshot of what’s currently stated on PUR Cosmetics’s website about its animal testing policy:
What About China’s Animal Testing Laws?
PUR Cosmetics has confirmed they do not sell their products in retail stores in mainland China; therefore, they are not required to test on animals.
“We are 100% cruelty-free. We do not have any retailers in Mainland China.“
As of May 1, 2021, some imported ordinary cosmetics can be exempt from animal testing under certain conditions. However, for the most part, animal testing is still legally required for most imported cosmetics in 2022.
Note that there is no legal definition for the label ‘Cruelty-Free.’ It can mean different things to different people. But Cruelty-Free is generally used to imply no animal testing. More specifically, the ingredients, formulation, or finished product are not tested on animals at any stage of product development.
At ethical elephant, we always assess a company’s cruelty-free policy using our Cruelty-Free Checklist. This ensures no animal testing was performed by the brand itself, its suppliers, or any third parties.
Also, note that Cruelty-Free and Vegan don’t always mean the same thing.
PÜR Cosmetics is Not 100% Vegan
‘Vegan’ in cosmetics can refer to an entire brand that is 100% Vegan or a specific product is vegan.
In the case of PUR Cosmetics, not all of their products are vegan. But they have some products that are suitable for vegans.
How to know which of PUR Cosmetics products are vegan?
All of PUR Cosmetics’ vegan products are clearly marked on their website.
The following is a screenshot of what’s currently stated on PUR Cosmetics’ website about its vegan claims:
PÜR Cosmetics Vegan Product List
As of 2021, I will no longer be regularly updating this list of PÜR vegan products as all of their vegan products are now clearly marked. Check their website for the most up-to-date and accurate information on which products are vegan or not.
The following PÜR products are suitable for vegans and do not contain any animal-derived ingredients or by-products.
Makeup – PÜR Vegan
- 4-in-1 Foundation Stick
- 4-in-1 Liquid Foundation
- 4-in-1 Pressed Mineral Makeup
- 4-in-1 Tinted Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 20 Foundation
- Bare It All 4-in-1 Skin Perfecting Foundation
- CC Cream Broad Spectrum SPF 40 Foundation
- Liquid Veil 4-in-1 Spray Foundation
- Afterglow Illuminating Powder
- Shake & Boost Powder-to-Cream Multivitamin Booster
- Translucent Loose Setting Powder
PRIMER & SETTING SPRAY
- 4-in-1 Correcting Primer Energize & Rescue
- 4-in-1 Correcting Primer Prep & Perfect
- Correcting Primer – Illuminate & Glow
- Correcting Primer – Redness Reducer
- Lit Mist Illuminating Setting Spray
- Make It Matte Oil Mattifying Blotting Stick
- No Filter Burring Photography Primer
CHEEKS, HIGHLIGHTER, BRONZER
- 4-in-1 Blush Book
- Bronze & Brighten Cheek Palette
- Bronze Your Selfie Skin-Perfecting Face and Body Liquid Bronzer
- Contour Diaries Palette Ultra Matte Contour Kit
- Mineral Glow Bronzing Powder
- Out of the Blue Light Up Vanity Blush Palette in Ray of Light
- Out of the Blue Vanity Blush Palette in Beam of Light
- Out of the Blue Vanity Blush Palette in Ray of Light
- Quick Pro Highlight Palette
- Quick Pro Portables Sculpt & Glow On-The-Go Contour and Highlight Palette Pair
- Sculptor Highlight & Contour Palette
- Sparkle and Shine Bright Travel Highlighter Palette + Fan Brush
- 4-in-1 Lip Duo
- 4-in-1 Lip Toppers Kit
- Chrome Glaze High-Shine Lip Gloss – DIY, Arm Candy, Heartbreaker, Squad, Smarty Pants, Rebel
- Lip Lure Hydrating Lip Lacquer – all shades
- On Point Lip Liner – all shades
- Out of the Blue Light Up High Shine Lip Gloss – Dreams, Focused, Future, Goals,
- Out of the Blue Light Up Hydrating Lip Balm
- Velvet Matte Liquid Lipsticks – all shades
MASCARA & LASHES
- Big Look Mascara with Argan Oil
- Fully Charged Mascara Primer
- PRO Eyelash Glue
- Triple Threat Slimline Mascara
- Creator Eyeshadow & Face Palette
- Eye Polish Eye Base and Top Coat – all shades
- Eye Polish Glitters 5-Piece Kit
- Goal Digger Vanity Palette
- Let The Good Times Roll Travel Eyeshadow Palette + Shadow Brush
- Out of the Blue Light Up Vanity Eyeshadow Palette
- PUR x BOXYCHARM Eyeshadow Palette
- PÜR PRO X Etienne Ortega Eyeshadow Palette
- Quick Pro Glitters 5-Piece Eye Polish Kit
- Royalty 5-Piece Eye Polish Collection
- Soiree Diaries Eyeshadow Palette
Skincare – PÜR Vegan
- 4-in-1 Cloud Cream Moisturizer
- Blue Agave Mask Energizing Peel-Off Mask
- Get A Lift Age-Defying Moisturizer
- Get Bright Spot Brightening Serum
- Holographic Hydrating Sheet Mask Set
- Joystick Exfoliating Deep Cleanser
- Melt Away Gel Oil Makeup Remover
- Miracle Mist Hydrating Setting Spray
- Precious Metals Shimmering Dry Oil Elixir
- See No More Deep Pore Cleanser
- Soak It Up Intense Hydrating Moisturizer
- The Grinch™ Grinch Stole My Look Color-Changing Skin-Perfecting Clay Mask
- Tone Up Total Eye Fitness
- Rescue Squad Broad Spectrum SPF 25 Sunscreen
- Wine Bordeaux Cleanser
Makeup Brushes – PÜR Vegan
- Blending Crease Brush
- Blurring Concealer Brush
- Blurring Powder Brush
- Brow Sculpt & Groom Brush
- Chisel Brush
- Contour Blending Brush
- Contour Blending Sponge
- Essentials Brush Set
- Liquid Chisel Brush
- Powder Foundation Brush
- Perfecting Body Brush
- Pillow Blend Silicone Blending Applicator
- Precision Crease Brush
- PÜR Pro Tools 5-Piece Brush Collection
- Sculpt & Contour Foundation Brush
- Skin Perfecting Concealer Brush
- Skin Perfecting Foundation Brush
Similar to ‘Cruelty-Free,’ there is no standard or legal definition for the label ‘Vegan.’ But it’s usually used in the context to describe something that doesn’t contain any animal-derived ingredients or animal by-products.
Some common animal products used in cosmetics include carmine, lanolin, snail mucus, beeswax, honey, pearl or silk-derived ingredients, animal-based glycerin, keratin, and squalene.
There are plant-based and synthetic alternatives to animal-derived ingredients. But it’s sometimes difficult to know with certainty whether a product is vegan just by reading the ingredient list.
So it’s best to ask the company and manufacturers to ensure the ingredients they’ve chosen to use were from non-animal sources.
Where are PUR Cosmetics’ products made?
I asked PUR where their products are manufactured and they told me:
“Our products are made in a variety of different places!
If any of our products were to of been made in the USA it will state such on the packaging.”
Ethical Mica Mining Policy
Mica is a mineral that’s used in cosmetics to add a shimmery effect. But the mining of natural mica has been linked to child labor and human rights violations.
Unless the company discloses its mica mining policy, we have no way of knowing whether its mica is ethically sourced without child or forced labor.
So I asked PUR Cosmetics if their mica is ethically sourced without the use of child labor, but they never responded to any of my emails or messages.
I hope this article helped you to understand PUR Cosmetics’ cruelty-free and vegan status and by choosing cruelty-free together, we can help end animal testing for cosmetics once and for all!