REN has confirmed that they do not test their products or ingredients on animals or commission any third parties to do so on their behalf.
However REN is owned by Unilever, a parent company that does test on animals and has assured us that their no animal testing policy remains in place and none of their products are sold in China. It is up to you to decide if you are comfortable supporting a cruelty-free brand that is owned by a parent company that does test on animals.
REN’s Animal Testing Policy
Below you will find REN’s animal testing statement taken from their website’s FAQ.
Email Correspondence with REN
As I always do to ensure the claims made on the website are up-to-date, I emailed REN and they replied with the same explanation found on their website but with the following additions:
REN started as an independent company established in 2000. As of May 2015, it has been owned by Unilever. We can confirm that despite this change, REN’s policy of no animal testing remains in place.
Finally, I can confirm that our products are not sold in mainland China.
What about product sold outside of the EU?
Unilever’s acquisition of REN is an area of concern for me because that opens a lot of opportunities for how REN products are manufactured and distributed. They have reassured us that the EU ban on ingredients tested on animals after March 11, 2013 are prohibited for sale in the EU, but that ban doesn’t extend to other countries including the U.S. or Canada.
So what does that mean for products or ingredients sold or possibly manufactured outside of the EU? REN responded and addressed my concerns with the following statement:
I can confirm that all of our products (apart from the Vita Mineral™ Lip Balm) are manufactured in the UK before distribution, so follow the same regulations.
REN’s Vegan Product List
UPDATE (DEC 20, 2017): There is now an available vegan product list of REN Skincare on their website.
Below is a list of REN products that are considered vegan and do not contain any animal-derived ingredients or by-products:
- REN Atlantic Kelp & Magnesium Anti-Fatigue Body Wash
- REN Atlantic Kelp & Magnesium Energising Hand Wash
- REN Atlantic Kelp & Microalgae Anti-Fatigue Bath Oil
- REN Atlantic Kelp & Magnesium Anti-Fatigue Exfoliating Body Scrub
- REN Bio Retinoid™ Anti-Wrinkle Concentrate Oil
- REN Sirtuin Phytohormone Replenishing Cream
- REN Citrus Limonum Prebiotic Hand Cream
- REN Clarimatte™ T-Zone Balancing Gel Cream
- REN Clarimatte™ Invisible Pores Detox Mask
- REN Clarimatte™ Clarifying Toner
- REN Clearcalm 3 Replenishing Gel Cream
- REN Clearcalm 3 Acne Treatment/Clarity Restoring Mask
- REN Ultra Moisture Day Cream
- REN Rose O12 Moisture Defence Oil
- REN Evercalm™ Global Protection Day Cream
- REN Flash Defence Anti-Pollution Mist
- REN Gueande Salt Exfoliating Body Balm
- REN Keep Young And Beautiful™ Instant Firming Beauty Shot
- REN Keep Young And Beautiful™ Instant Brightening Beauty Shot Eye Lift
- REN Multi-Tasking After Shave Balm
- REN Tamanu High Glide Shaving
- REN Moroccan Rose Otto Body Lotion
- REN Moroccan Rose Otto Bath Oil
- REN Moroccan Rose Otto Ultra-Moisture Body Oil
- REN Moroccan Rose Gold Glow Perfect Dry Oil
- REN Moroccan Rose Otto Sugar Body Polish
- REN Neroli & Grapefruit Body Cream
- REN & Now to Sleep
- REN Pro-Vitamin Conditioner
- REN Rosa Centifolia™ No.1 Purity Cleansing Balm
- REN Rosa Centifolia™ 3-in-1 Cleansing Water
- REN Rosa Centifolia™ Gentle Exfoliating Cleanser
- REN V-Cense™ Revitalising Night Cream
- REN V-Cense™ Youth Vitality Day Cream
- REN Vita Mineral™ Daily Supplement Moisturising Cream
- REN Vita Mineral™ Omega 3 Optimum Skin Oil
- REN Vita Mineral™ Active 7 Eye Gel
And below is a list of products to avoid that contain animal ingredients.
“All REN products other than the products listed below are suitable for vegans.”
Evercalm™ Anti Redness Serum (Modukine – Milk)
Rosa Centifolia™ Hot Cloth Cleanser (Beeswax)
Vita Mineral™ Lip Balm (Honey, Beeswax)
Vita Mineral™ Emollient Rescue Cream (Beeswax)
REN is Cruelty-Free!
If you can look past REN being owned by a non-cruelty-free parent company (Unilever) then it’s safe to say that REN is a cruelty-free brand!