Hourglass Cosmetics is a luxury makeup brand known for its state-of-the-art primer and cult-favorite highlighting palette but is Hourglass cruelty-free, vegan, or sustainable in 2021? I’ve got the answers here!
Is Hourglass Cruelty-Free?
Hourglass is Cruelty-free! None of Hourglass’ ingredients, formulations, or finished products are tested on animals, anywhere in the world.
However, it should be noted that Hourglass is owned by Unilever, a parent corporation that does test on animals when required by law.
Hourglass Animal Testing Policy
Hourglass has confirmed they do not test their products or ingredients on animals, they do not allow others to test on their behalf, their suppliers also do not test on animals, they do not allow their products to be tested on animals when required by law, and their products are not sold in stores in mainland China or any other country that may require animal testing.
In addition, below is what’s currently stated on Hourglass’ website:
Hourglass Acquired by Unilever
In 2017, Hourglass was acquired by Unilever, a corporation that does test on animals when required by law.
Although Hourglass is owned by Unilever, the brand has remained committed to being a cruelty-free brand.
Is Hourglass Vegan?
Hourglass is not an entirely vegan brand (yet!) Some of Hourglass makeup products do contain animal-derived ingredients or by-products, like beeswax, lanolin, and carmine, but Hourglass pledges to be 100% vegan by the end of the year.
Please reference below for a list of Hourglass vegan products.
Hourglass had pledged to become a 100% vegan brand by 2020, however, I noticed some of their non-vegan products are still available.
They kindly informed me in May 2020 that they are still working on becoming 100% vegan stating,
“We are currently in the transition of becoming fully vegan by the end of this year! You can search the term vegan on our website to see an updated product list of all the vegan products we currently carry!”
Want to know which of Hourglass cosmetics’ are not vegan? Check their non-vegan product list at the bottom of this post.
You can also find out which of their products are vegan as they’re all marked accordingly on their website under each product description. See below for an example.
Hourglass Vegan Product List
As of 2021, I will no longer be regularly updating this list of Hourglass vegan products as all of their vegan products are now clearly marked. Check their website for the most up-to-date and accurate information on which products are vegan or not.
Below is a list of Hourglass products that are suitable for vegans and do not contain any animal-derived ingredients or by-products.
Primer & Setting Spray
Foundation & Concealer
- Immaculate Liquid Powder Foundation
- Vanish Airbrush Concealer
- Vanish Seamless Finish Foundation Stick
- Vanish Seamless Finish Liquid Foundation
- Veil Fluid Makeup
Powder, Bronzer, Blush, Highlighter
- Ambient Lighting Blush
- Incandescent Electra
- Ambient Lighting Blush Quad
- Ambient Lighting Bronzer
- Diffused Bronze Light, Luminous Bronze Light, Nude Bronze Light
- Ambient Lighting Edit
- Ambient Lighting Finishing Powder
- Diffused Light, Dim Light, Ethereal Light, Luminous Light, Radiant Light
- Ambient Lighting Infinity Powder
- Ambient Lighting Palette
- Ambient Metallic Strobe Lighting Palette
- Ambient Strobe Lighting Powder
- Brilliant Strobe Light, Euphoric Strobe Light, Incandescent Strobe Light
- Vanish Flash Highlighting Stick
- Bronze Flash, Champagne Flash, Pink Flash, Rose Gold Flash
- Veil Retouching Fluid
- Veil Translucent Setting Powder
Eyes & Brow
- 1.5MM Mechanical Gel Eye Liner
- Arch Brow
- Arch Brow Sculpting Pencil
- Arch Brow Shaping Gel
- Arch Brow Volumizing Fiber Gel
- Caution Extreme Lash Mascara
- Graphik Eyeshadow Palette
- Scattered Light Glitter Eyeshadow – Foil
- Unlocked Instant Extensions Mascara
- Voyeur Waterproof Liquid Liner
- Confession Ultra Slim
High IntensityLipstick – all shades
- Extreme Sheen High Shine Lip Gloss
- Vegan Shades: Ballet, Child, Ignite, Imagine, Lush, Nectar, Origami, Primal, Reflect, Siren, Truth, Verse
- Nº 28 Lip Treatment Oil – all shades
- Opaque Rouge Liquid Lipstick – all shades
- Unreal™ High Shine Volumizing Lip Gloss – all shades
- All Hourglass makeup brushes are vegan and made with synthetic bristles.
Not Vegan – Hourglass
Below is a list of Hourglass makeup and skincare products that were not included on Hourglass’ vegan list, the following products may contain some animal-derived ingredient or by-product.
- Ambient Lighting Blush (shades that contain carmine: Dim Infusion, Ethereal Glow, Mood Exposure, Radiant Magenta) – not vegan
- Ambient Lighting Bronzer (Radiant Bronze Light) – not vegan
- Ambient Lighting Finishing Powder (contains carmine: Mood Light) – not vegan
- Ambient Strobe Lighting Blush (shades that contain carmine: Brilliant Nude, Euphoric Fusion, Iridescent Flash) – not vegan
- Ambient Strobe Lighting Powder (contains carmine: Iridescent Strobe Light) – not vegan
- Curator Ascent Extended Wear Lash Primer – not vegan
- Curator Lash Instrument – not vegan
- Curator Realist Defining Mascara Formula – not vegan
- Extreme Sheen High Shine Lip Gloss (shades that contain carmine: Canvas, Muse, Fortune, Icon) – not vegan
- Femme Nude Lip Stylo (contains lanolin) – not vegan
- Film Noir Full Spectrum Mascara (contains beeswax) – not vegan
- GIRL Lip Stylo (contains beeswax) – not vegan
- Hidden Corrective Concealer (contains beeswax) – not vegan
- Illume Sheer Color Trio in Sunset (may contain carmine) – not vegan
- Illusion Hyaluronic Skin Tint (contains beeswax) – not vegan
- Panoramic Long Wear Lip Liner (contains beeswax) – not vegan
- Scattered Light Glitter Eyeshadow (shades that contain carmine: Aura, Blaze, Reflect, Smoke) – not vegan
- Vanish™ Flash Highlighting Stick (Gold Flash) – not vegan
Is Hourglass Cosmetics Sustainable?
Hourglass’s headquarters is based in: the US
Hourglass’s products are manufactured in: Mostly Italy or the US
Hourglass Cosmetics does not claim to be a sustainable company.
Additionally, I wasn’t able to find any available information on Hourglass’s sustainability, environmental, and social initiatives.
Eco-Friendly Packaging Initiatives: Their Confession Ultra Slim High-Intensity Lipsticks comes in refillable lipstick tubes where you can buy the interchangeable refills separately.
Giving Back Initiatives: Hourglass donates 1% of all profits from their website to the Nonhuman Rights Project, an organization working to secure fundamental rights for animals. The brand also has a consumer campaign, for every picture posted on Instagram of people posing eye-to-eye with their pet with #hg_eyetoeye, Hourglass will donate $1 to Best Friends Animal Society.
Ingredients and Formulations Claims: Some of Hourglass products claim to be Paraben-Free, Gluten-Free, Phthalate-Free, Talc-Free, Triclosan-Free, Mineral Oil-Free, however, not all of them are so you’ll have to find each products’ claim under their descriptions.
Is Hourglass’s Mica Ethically-Sourced? Hourglass has been non-responsive when I asked if their mica is ethically-sourced without the use of child labor.
I hope this article helped you to understand Hourglass’s cruelty-free and vegan status and by choosing cruelty-free together, we can help end animal testing for cosmetics once and for all!
If you liked this cruelty-free resource, then please subscribe to our monthly newsletter for more resources and guides to living your BEST cruelty-free and vegan life! You can also find us on Instagram and Facebook.