This post may contain affiliate links that at no additional cost to you, I may earn a small commission.
GOSH is Cruelty-Free
GOSH has confirmed they do not test their products or ingredients on animals or ask others to test on their behalf. Their suppliers also do not test on animals, nor do they allow their products to be tested on animals when required by law. And finally, their products are not sold in stores in mainland China or any other country that may require animal testing.
By our standards, we would consider GOSH to be Cruelty-Free.
Below is a screenshot of GOSH’s official animal testing statement:
What About China’s Animal Testing Laws?
As of May 1, 2021, some imported ordinary cosmetics can be exempt from animal testing under certain conditions. However, for the most part, animal testing is still legally required for most imported cosmetics in 2022.
But GOSH has confirmed they do not sell their products in retail stores in mainland China; therefore, they are not required to test on animals.
“I’m sorry but our products are not sold in mainland China.“
Note that there is no legal definition for the label ‘Cruelty-Free.‘ It can mean different things to different people. But Cruelty-Free is generally used to imply no animal testing. More specifically, the ingredients, formulation, or finished product are not tested on animals at any stage of product development.
At ethical elephant, we always assess a company’s cruelty-free policy using our Cruelty-Free Checklist. This ensures no animal testing was performed by the brand itself, its suppliers, and by any third parties.
Also, note that Cruelty-Free and Vegan don’t always mean the same thing.
GOSH is Not 100% Vegan
‘Vegan’ in cosmetics can refer to an entire brand that is 100% Vegan or a specific product is vegan.
In the case of GOSH, not all of their products are vegan. But they have some products that are suitable for vegans.
How to know which of GOSH’s products are vegan?
All of GOSH’s vegan products are clearly marked on their website. See below for an example.
GOSH Vegan Product List
As of 2021, I will no longer be regularly updating this list of GOSH vegan products as all of their vegan products are now clearly marked. Check their website for the most up-to-date and accurate information on which products are vegan or not.
The following GOSH products are suitable for vegans and do not contain any animal-derived ingredients or by-products. This vegan product list was provided by GOSH Cosmetics.
Face – GOSH Vegan
- Overnight Primer Oil Essence
- Primer Plus+ – Illuminating, Hydration, Chameleon
Prime’nSet – Neutral, Banana, Hydration
- Under Eye Primer
- Velvet Touch Foundation Primer Anti-Wrinkle
- Velvet Touch Foundation Primer Classic
BRONZER & HIGHLIGHTER
- GOSH I’m Blushing – 001 Flirt, 002 Amour, 003 Passion, 004 Crush
- Lumi Drops – 010 Coral Blush, 012 RoseGold
- Blown Away Mascara – 001 Black
- Blown Away Mascara – 002 Carbon Black
- My Favourite Mascara – 001 Black
- My Favourite Mascara – 002 Carbon Black
- Rebel Eyes Mascara – 001 Black
- Volume Serum Mascara
- 3in1 Hybrid Eyes
- Eye Xpression
- Forever Eye Shadow
- Matt Duo Eye Shadow (Brown Base, Melting Pale, Green Zone &
- Mineral Colour Pigments
- Mono Eye Shadow (1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 & 15)
- Quattro Eye Shadow (Q56)
- Smokey Eyes Palette (01, 02)
- Eye Liner Pen (Liquid)
- Giant Pro Kajal
- Giant Pro Liner – 001 Blacker Than Black
- Intense Eye Liner Pen
- Kohl/Eye Liner (Black, Expresso & White)
- Long Lasting Eye Liner Pen
- Smokey Eye Liner (01, 02, 05)
- The Ultimate Eye Liner (01, 02, 03, 07)
- Velvet Touch Eye Liner Waterproof (Black Ink, Truly Brown, Hypnotic Grey, Metallic Brass, Pretty Petrol, Woody Green, Lemon Soda, Blue Moon, Alligator, Silver Screen, Sky High, Pure Natural, Classic Grey, Rebellious Brown, I Sea You & Renaissance Gold, Carbon Black)
- Xtreme Liquid Gel Eye Liner (001, 002, 003, 004, 005, 006, 008 & 009)
- Prime’n Refresh Eye Roll-on
- Velvet Touch Eye Primer
Lips – GOSH Vegan
- Fix it Lip Primer – 001 Clear
- Forever Lip Shine (001, 003, 004, 005, 006, 007, 008, 009 & 010)
- Kiss Me! Moisturizing Lip Balm: (02, 03, 04, 05, 06)
- Light’N Shine
- Lip Oil
- Liquid Matte Lips
Long LastingLip Marker
- Intense Lip Colour
- Kiss Me Matt Lips
- Velvet Touch Lip Primer
- Velvet Touch Lip Liner Waterproof (001, 002, 003, 004, 005, 006, 007, 008, 011, 012)
- Volume Lip Shine
Nails – GOSH Vegan
- 2 in 1 Nail Hardener
- Fast Dry Drops
- Gel Look Top Coat
- Mini Lacquers
- Nail & Cuticle Oil
- OMG Nail Lacquer – All
- Nail Lacquer – All
- Nail Lacquer – Frosted
- Nail Lacquer – Special Ed
NOT VEGAN – Gosh Cosmetics
The following products were not labelled as “vegan” on GOSH’ website:
- 24h Pro Liner – not vegan
- Amazing Length’n Build Mascara – Black – not vegan
- Boombastic Crazy Mascara – 001 Extreme Black – not vegan
- Boombastic Mascara – 002 Carbon Black – not vegan
- Boombastic Mascara – Black – not vegan
- Boombastic XXL Swirl Volume Mascara – 001 Black – not vegan
- Brow Kit – not vegan
- Brow Shape & Fill – not vegan
- Catchy Eyes Mascara Waterproof – 001 Black – not vegan
- Click’N Conceal – not vegan
- Effect Powder – not vegan
- Eye Designer – not vegan
- Eye Shadow Base (Waterproof) – 01 Matt – not vegan
- Eye Shadow Primer – not vegan
- Eyelight Trio (001, 002, 003) – not vegan
- Fake It! Primer Mascara – 001 Grey – not vegan
- Forever Eye Shadow – not vegan
- Foundation Plus+ – not vegan
- Giant Pro Double Liner – not vegan
- Growth Mascara – 001 Black – not vegan
- Growth Serum – 001 Lashes – not vegan
- Growth Serum – 002 Brow – not vegan
- Growth Serum – The secret of longer lashes – not vegan
- Hybrid Liner & Shadow – not vegan
- Infinity Eye Liner – not vegan
- Kohl/Eyeliner – Stone, Nude – not vegan
- Lift & Highlight – 001 Nude, 002 Rose – not vegan
- Matt Duo Eye Shadow – 008 Dusty Purple – not vegan
- Metal Eyes – not vegan
- Mineral WP Eye Shadow – not vegan
- Mix & Fix Colour Drops – 001 Light, 002 Green, 003 Purple, 004 Dark, 005 Masala – not vegan
- Mix & Match Palette – not vegan
- Multicolour Blush – not vegan
- Natural Blush – not vegan
- Primer Plus+ – 006 Filler – not vegan
- Quattro Eye Shadow (Q22, Q24) – not vegan
- Show Me Volume Mascara – Carbon Black – not vegan
- Smokey Eyes Palette – 03 Plum, 04 Blue – not vegan
- Strobelight – 001 Galactic Gold, 002 Galactic Sunset, 003 Galactic Light – not vegan
- The Ultimate Eye Liner – 04 Camuflage Green, 05 Kind of Blue – not vegan
- Velvet Touch Eyeliner – Blueberry Ice, Golden Moss, Funky Violet, Temptation, Fashionista – not vegan
- Waterproof Volume Mascara – not vegan
- X-Ceptional Wear Foundation – not vegan
Similar to ‘Cruelty-Free,’ there is no standard or legal definition for the label ‘Vegan.’ But it’s usually used in the context to describe something that doesn’t contain any animal-derived ingredients or animal by-products.
Some common animal products used in cosmetics include carmine, lanolin, snail mucus, beeswax, honey, pearl or silk-derived ingredients, animal-based glycerin, keratin, and squalene.
There are plant-based and synthetic alternatives to animal-derived ingredients. But it’s sometimes difficult to know with certainty whether a product is vegan just by reading the ingredient list.
So it’s best to ask the company and manufacturers to ensure the ingredients they’ve chosen to use were from non-animal sources.
Ethical Mica Mining Policy
Mica is a mineral that’s used in cosmetics to add a shimmery effect. But the mining of natural mica has been linked to child labor and human rights violations.
Unless the company discloses its mica mining policy, we have no way of knowing whether its mica is ethically sourced without child or forced labor.
So I asked GOSH if their mica is ethically sourced without the use of child labor, but they never responded to any of my emails or messages.
I hope this article helped you to understand GOSH’s cruelty-free and vegan status and by choosing cruelty-free together, we can help end animal testing for cosmetics once and for all!