ELEMIS is a British luxury spa and skincare brand specializing in anti-aging products but is ELEMIS cruelty-free or vegan?
Is ELEMIS Cruelty-Free?
Yes, ELEMIS is Cruelty-free! None of ELEMIS’s ingredients, formulations, or finished products are tested on animals, anywhere in the world.
However, it should be noted that ELEMIS is owned by L’Occitane, a corporation that does test on animals when required by law.
Below is what’s currently stated on ELEMIS’s website:
In addition, ELEMIS has confirmed to me in an email response that they do not test their products or ingredients on animals, they do not allow others to test on their behalf, their suppliers also do not test on animals, and their products are not sold in stores in mainland China or any other country that may require animal testing by law.
Below is part of the response I received from ELEMIS:
“Elemis Ltd has always been against animal testing. Elemis has never and will never test on animals. Nor has Elemis ordered such tests by any third parties.
Elemis specializes in natural caring ingredients of the highest quality and safety. All finished products have been extensively tested over time, on our own staff, human volunteers and or by non-animal laboratory trials.
The European Cosmetic Directive banned all animal testing of finished products from September 2004 and ingredients used within products from March 2009. They enforce this directive and dictate what is safe and what’s not. Elemis strongly supports this position and will do everything possible to keep driving non-animal testing alternatives and always approach development in an ethical manner.
We do not use slaughterhouse waste in any of our products. None of our perfumes contain animal extracts and we do not use whale or blubber oils. We do make use of honey, beeswax, milk, milk whey and eggs.
We continue to work alongside partners and suppliers who share our beliefs and who approach their day-to-day operations in an ethical manner, purchasing accordingly.
Elemis wishes to contribute to your well-being by promoting safe, high-quality spa and skincare products, with ease of mind and conscience.“
ELEMIS Acquired by L’Occitane
In 2019, ELEMIS was acquired by L’Occitane, a corporation that does test on animals when required by law.
Although ELEMIS is owned by L’Occitane, the brand has remained committed to being a cruelty-free brand.
ELEMIS is included on our List of Cruelty-Free Brands.
Is ELEMIS Vegan?
Not all of ELEMIS’s products are vegan as some of their products contain honey, milk, protein, milk lipids, egg yolk protein, and beeswax. However, ELEMIS does have some vegan options.
Please reference below for a list of ELEMIS vegan products.
Which of ELEMIS Products is Vegan?
Below is a list of ELEMIS products that are suitable for vegans and do not contain any animal-derived ingredients or by-products.
You can also find out which of their products are vegan on ELEMIS’s website.
- Absolute Eye Mask
- Absolute Eye Serum
- Aching Muscle Super Soak
- Balancing Lavender Toner
- BIOTEC Skin Energizing Cleanser
- BIOTEC Skin Energizing Night Cream
- Cellular Recovery Skin Bliss Capsules
- Cleansing Micellar Water
- Cleansing Micellar Water Supersize
- Daily Moisture Boost
- Devils Mint Body Scrub
- Dynamic Resurfacing Day Cream SPF30
- Dynamic Resurfacing Facial Pads
- Dynamic Resurfacing Facial Wash
- Dynamic Resurfacing Gel Mask
- Dynamic Resurfacing Night Cream
- Dynamic Resurfacing Serum
- Frangipani Monoi Body Cream
- Frangipani Monoi Body Oil
- Frangipani Monoi Salt Glow
- Frangipani Monoi Shower Cream
- Gentle Foaming Facial Wash
- Gentle Rose Exfoliator
- Herbal Lavender Repair Mask
- Hydra-Boost Day Cream
- Hydra-Boost Sensitive Day Cream
- Hydra-Boost Serum
- Hydra-Nourish Night Cream
- Instant Refreshing Gel
- Japanese Camellia Body Oil Blend
- Musclease Active Body Oil
- Nourishing Omega-Rich Cleansing Oil
- Peptide⁴ Eye Recovery Cream
- Peptide⁴ Night Recovery Cream-Oil
- Peptide⁴ Thousand Flower Mask
- Pro-Collagen Advanced Eye Treatment
- Pro-Collagen Definition Day Cream
- Pro-Collagen Definition Eye & Lip Contour Cream
- Pro-Collagen Definition Facial Oil
- Pro-Collagen Definition Night Cream
- Pro-Collagen Eye Renewal
- Pro-Collagen Hydra-Gel Eye Masks
- Pro-Collagen Marine Cream
- Pro-Collagen Marine Cream for Men
- Pro-Collagen Marine Cream Supersize
- Pro-Collagen Marine Cream Ultra-Rich
- Pro-Collagen Marine Mask
- Pro-Collagen Marine Mask Supersize
- Pro-Collagen Marine Oil
- Pro-Collagen Neck & Décolleté Balm
- Pro-Collagen Overnight Matrix
- Pro-Collagen Oxygenating Night Cream
- Pro-Collagen Super Serum Elixir
- Pro-Radiance Illuminating Eye Balm
- Pro-Radiance Illuminating Flash Balm
- Quiet Mind Temple Balm
- Rehydrating Ginseng Toner
- Rehydrating Rosepetal Cleanser
- Revitalize-Me Shower Gel
- Skin Soothe Shave Gel
- Smooth Result Shave & Beard Oil
- Soothing Apricot Toner
- S.O.S Emergency Cream
- S.O.S Survival Cream
- Superfood Berry Boost Mask
- Superfood Day Cream
- Superfood Facial Oil
- Superfood Facial Wash
- Superfood Kefir Tea Mist
- Superfood Night Cream
- Sweet Orchid Monoi Body Oil
- Sweet Orchid Shower Cream
- Tea Tree S.O.S. Spray
- Time Defence Eye Reviver
- Total Glow Bronzing Moisturizer For Face
This vegan product list is updated as frequently as possible, please be aware that formulations may have changed since the publication of this post. If you have new information to suggest one of the above products isn’t vegan, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to let me know.
ELEMIS – Not Vegan
Below is a list of ELEMIS products that contain animal by-products and are not suitable for vegans.
- Absolute Oxygen Skin Calm Booster Serum (contains honey and egg yolk protein) – not vegan
- Absolute Vita C Harmony Booster Serum (contains egg yolk protein) – not vegan
- Amino Active Mask (contains milk) – not vegan
- Daily Redness Solution (contains honey and beeswax) – not vegan
- Exotic Cream Moisturising Mask (contains honey) – not vegan
- Fresh Skin -Skin Multi-Vitamin Serum (contains milk and beeswax) – not vegan
- Fresh Skin – Loving Lips Quenching Lip Balm (contains beeswax) – not vegan
- Lime and Ginger Hand and Body Wash (contains milk) – not vegan
- Lip Revive (contains beeswax) – not vegan
- Men Energising Skin Scrub (contains beeswax) – not vegan
- Pro-Collagen Cleansing Balm (contains beeswax) – not vegan
- Pro-Collagen Lifting Treatment Neck and Bust (contains milk and beeswax) – not vegan
- Pro-Collagen Quartz Lift Peel off Mask (contains honey) – not vegan
- Pro-Collagen Radiantly Smooth Body Cream (contains milk) – not vegan
- Pro-Radiance Cream Cleanser (contains beeswax) – not vegan
- Sharp Shower and Bath Gel (contains milk) – not vegan
- Skin Buff (contains beeswax) – not vegan
- Skin Nourishing Body Cream (contains milk) – not vegan
- Skin Nourishing Body Scrub (contains milk) – not vegan
- Skin Nourishing Hand and Body Lotion (contains milk) – not vegan
- Skin Nourishing Milk Bath (contains milk) – not vegan
- Skin Nourishing Shower Cream (contains milk) – not vegan
- Soothing Chamomile Cleanser (contains egg yolk protein) – not vegan
- Total Glow Self Tanning Cream (contains milk) – not vegan
- Treat Your Feet Foot Cream (contains beeswax) – not vegan
- Wild Lavender Hand and Body Wash (contains milk) – not vegan
Is ELEMIS Ethical?
Based in: London, UK
Sustainability & Environmental Initiatives: ELEMIS works closely with small British farms to make sure the ingredients are harvested sustainably, stating, “ELEMIS actively seek out sustainable ingredients and always endeavours to support local growers and their communities.”
Eco-Friendly Packaging Initiatives: ELEMIS claims, “we are continually looking for new ways to reduce waste and remove unnecessary materials in our packaging.” However, at this time, there’s no information about what their packaging and if any changes have been made.
Giving Back Initiatives: ELEMIS supports several charities and non-profit organizations including Women for Women International, Breast Cancer Care, Wellbeing of Women, Gavi Alliance.
Ingredients and Formulations Claims: ELEMIS products are formulated without the following: Aluminum, Artificial Dyes, Coal Tar, DEA, Formaldehyde, Formaldehyde Donors, Hydroquinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Mineral Oils, Oxybenzone, Parabens, Phthalates, Retinyl Palmitate, SLS/SLES, Talc, Triclocarban, Triclosan.
In addition, ELEMIS claims “we responsibly source our natural ingredients, utilizing biotechnology where possible to protect the earth’s precious resources.”