This post may contain affiliate links that at no additional cost to you, I may earn a small commission.
Catrice is Cruelty-Free
Cosmetics has confirmed they do not test their products or ingredients on animals or ask others to test on their behalf. Their suppliers also do not test on animals, nor do they allow their products to be tested on animals when required by law. And finally, their products are not sold in stores in mainland China or any other country that may require animal testing.
By our standards, we would consider Catrice to be Cruelty-Free.
Below is what’s currently stated on Catrice Cosmetics’ website:
What About China’s Animal Testing Laws?
As of May 1, 2021, some imported ordinary cosmetics can be exempt from animal testing under certain conditions. However, for the most part, animal testing is still legally required for most imported cosmetics in 2021.
But Catrice has confirmed they do not sell their products in retail stores in mainland China; therefore, they are not required to test on animals.
Note that there is no legal definition for the label ‘Cruelty-Free.‘ It can mean different things to different people. But Cruelty-Free is generally used to imply no animal testing. More specifically, the ingredients, formulation, or finished product are not tested on animals at any stage of product development.
At ethical elephant, we always assess a company’s cruelty-free policy using our Cruelty-Free Checklist. This ensures no animal testing was performed by the brand itself, its suppliers, and by any third parties.
Also, note that Cruelty-Free and Vegan don’t always mean the same thing.
Catrice is Not 100% Vegan
‘Vegan’ in cosmetics can refer to an entire brand that is 100% Vegan or a specific product is vegan.
In the case of Catrice, not all of their products are vegan. But they have some products that are suitable for vegans.
How to know which of Catrice products are vegan?
All of Catrice’s vegan products are clearly marked on their website. See below for an example, whether you’re looking from their EU or US site.
Catrice Vegan Product List
As of 2021, I will no longer be regularly updating this list of Catrice vegan products as all of their vegan products are now clearly marked. Check their website for the most up-to-date and accurate information on which products are vegan or not.
Below is a list of Catrice products that are suitable for vegans and do not contain any animal-derived ingredients or by-products.
Eyes – Catrice Vegan
Mascara & Lashes
- Allround Mascara Ultra Black
- Better Than Waterproof Wash Off
- EYEconista Lash Millionizer Volume Mascara Waterproof
- Glam & Doll Boost Lash Growth Volume Mascara
- Glam & Doll False Lashes Mascara
- Glam & Doll Lash Colorist Semi-Permanent Volume Mascara
- Glam & Doll Sculpt & Volume Mascara
- Lash & Brow Designer – Shaping and Conditioning Gel
- Lash Glue – 010
- Prêt-à-Volume Smokey Mascara Velvet Black
- Rock Couture Extreme Volume Mascara Lifestyleproof 24H
- 18h Colour & Contour Eye Pencil
- Calligraph Ultra Slim Eyeliner Pen
- Eye Liner Pen – 010
- Gel Eyeliner Waterproof
- Glam & Doll Super Black Liner
- Inside Eye Highlighter Pen
- Inside Eye Kohl Kajal
- It’s Easy Black Liner
- It’s Easy Tattoo Liner Waterproof
- Liquid Liner
- Liquid Liner Waterproof – 010
- Rock Couture Liquid Liner – 30, 40
- Rock Couture Vinyl Black Liquid Liner 24 H
- Sensitiv‘ Eyes Kohl Kajal
- Sensitiv´ Eyes Liquid Liner
- Smokey Matt Powder Liner 010
- Velvet Matt Smokey Eyes Pencil – 020, 040
- Brow Colorist Semi-Permanent Brow Mascara
- Brow Comb Pro Micro Pen
- Brow Idol Sport Proof Mascara
- Brow Pen Pro
- Eye & Brow Contouring Palette – 010, 020
- Eye Brow Set – 010
- Eyebrow Filler Perfecting & Shaping Gel – 010, 020
- Slim‘Matic Ultra Precise Brow Pencil Waterproof
- Velvet Brow Powder Artist – 010, 020, 030
Eyeshadow & Base
- Clean ID – Eyeshadow Palette
- Crystallized Amethyst Eyeshadow Palette
- Crystallized Rose Quartz Eyeshadow Palette
- Eye Foundation Waterproof Eyeshadow Primer
- Eyeshadow Stix – 010, 030, 040, 050, 060, 070, 080, 090
- Glam Fusion Powder To Gel Eyeshadow – 010, 020, 040, 060
- Highlighting Eyeshadows – 010, 040
- Liquid Metal Longlasting Cream Eyeshadow – 010, 020, 030, 060, 070
- Metal Sensation Ultra Creamy Eyeshadow – 030
- Palette À Porter Eyeshadow
- Precious Pigments Loose Eyeshadow – 010, 040, 050, 060
- Prime And Fine Eyeshadow Base – 010
- Superbia Vol. 1 Warm Copper Eyeshadow Edition
- Superbia Vol. 2 Frosted Taupe Eyeshadow Edition
- The Glitterizer Mix N’ Match Eyeshadow Palette
- The Ultimate Chrome Collection Eyeshadow Palette
Face – Catrice Vegan
- 1 Minute Face Perfector
- 3D Glow Highlighter – 010, 020, 030
- 3 STEPS TO CONTOUR Palette
- All Matt Plus Shine Control Make Up
- All Matt Plus Shine Control Powder – 010, 015, 025, 030
- Allround Colour Correction Palette
- Allround Concealer
- Aloha Sunsets Everyday Face And Cheek Palette
- Arctic Glow Highlighting Powder
- Blush Box – 010, 020, 030, 040, 050, 060
- Bouncy Bronzer Caribbean Vibes
- Bronzing Highlighter Pen
- CLEAN ID – Mineral Bronzer SPF
- Clean ID – Mineral Swirl Highlighter
- Energizing Prime & Care Spray
- Galactic Highlighter Drops
- Glow and Care Primer
- Glowdoscope Highlighter Palette
- Golden Dust Highlighter Drops
- HD Active Performance Freezing Spray
- HD Active Performance Primer
- HD Liquid Coverage Foundation
- HD Liquid Coverage Precision Concealer
- HD Liquid Radiance Foundation
- High Glow Mineral Highlighting Powder
- Hydrating Prime & Care Spray
- Light Correcting Serum Primer – 020
- Liquid Camouflage Under Eye Primer
- Light Up the Stars Baked Highlighter Palette
- Luminice highlighting palette
- Nude Illusion Loose Powder
- One Drop Coverage Weightless Concealer
- Powerful Elegance Everyday Face And Cheek Palette
- Prime And Fine Anti-Red Base
- Prime And Fine Anti-Shine Fixing Spray
- Prime And Fine Dewy Glow Fixing Spray
- Prime And Fine Luminizing Powder Waterproof
- Prime And Fine Mattifying Powder Waterproof
- Prime And Fine Multitalent Fixing Spray
- Prime And Fine Pore Refining And Anti-Shine Base
- Prime And Fine Poreless Blur Primer
- Prime And Fine Professional Contouring Palette
- Romantic Gardens Everyday Face And Cheek Palette
- Shape In A Box Contouring Palette
- Sun Glow Matt Bronzing Powder
- Sun Lover Glow Bronzing Powder
sational10 in 1 Dream Primer
- Triangle Artist Contour Stick
Lips – Catrice Vegan
- Aqua Ink Lipliner
- Beautifying Lip Smoother – 020, 030, 040, 050, 060
- Clean ID – Lip Balm
- Dewy-ful Lips Conditioning Lip Butter
- Generation Matt Comfortable Liquid Lipstick
- Generation Plump & Shine Lip Gloss
- Infinite Shine Lip Gloss – 040, 150, 210, 220, 240
- Lip Artist PRO Palette
- Lip Coconut Balm
- Lip Foundation Pencil
- Lip Oil
- Lip Plumping Mask
- Luminous Lips Lipstick – 010, 050, 090, 100, 120, 140, 160, 170
- Matt Lip Artist 6hr – 02, 40 50, 60
- Mattlover Lipstick Pen
- Power Plumping Gel Lipstick
- Prisma Chrome Lipstick
- Prisma Lip Glaze
- Sheer Beautifying Lip Balm
- Shine Appeal Fluid Lipstick – 010, 020, 030, 040, 050, 060, 070, 080, 100, 110
- Tinted Lip Glow Balm
- Ultimate Colour Lip Colour – 020, 140, 240, 310, 340, 370, 420, 450, 460, 480
- Ultimate Dark Lip Glow
- Ultimate Matt Lipstick
- Ultimate Stay Lipstick – 020, 050, 060, 070, 080, 090, 100, 120, 140, 150, 160
- Velvet Matt Lip Pencil Colour & Contour
- Vitamin Lip Treatment – Born To Be Wild-Berry
- Volumizing Lip Balm – 010, 020, 030
- Volumizing Lip Booster – 010, 030, 040
Nails – Catrice Vegan
- #peeloff glam Easy To Remove Effect Nail Polish
- Color Fix & Protect Top Coat
- Galactic Glow Translucent Effect Nail Lacquer
- ICONails Gel Lacquer
- ICONails Top Coat
- LuxChrome 2in1 Base & Top Coat
- LuxChrome Foil Effect Polish
- LuxChrome Nail Powder Kit
- More Than Nude Nail Polish
- Nail Building Base Coat
- Power Gel 2in1 Base & Top Coat
- Shake & Seal Top Coat
- Speed Dry Drops
- Super Dry Gloss Top Coat
Not Vegan – Catrice
Below is a list of Catrice products that did not have the “vegan” label under the product description. These Catrice products are not considered vegan and should be avoided if you follow a vegan lifestyle.
- Allround Mascara Waterproof (contains beeswax) – not vegan
- Art Couleurs Eyeshadows (contains beeswax and carmine) – not vegan
- Brow Comb Designer Pro – not vegan
- Brow Hero 2in1 Brow Pomade & Camouflage Waterproof (contains lanolin) – not vegan
- Camouflage Cream (contains beeswax) – not vegan
- Charming Fairy Lip Glow – not vegan
- Eye‘Matic Dip Liner Deep Black (contains beeswax) – not vegan
- Eye Brow Stylist (contains lanolin) – not vegan
- Glam & Doll Curl & Volume Mascara (contains beeswax) – not vegan
- Glam & Doll False Lashes Mascara Waterproof (contains beeswax) – not vegan
- Glam & Doll Volume Mascara (contains beeswax) – not vegan
- Glam & Doll Volume Mascara Waterproof (contains beeswax) – not vegan
- Glam & Doll Volumizing Mascara Primer (contains beeswax) – not vegan
- Glow Illusion Loose Powder (contains carmine) – not vegan
- Instant Smokey Eye Pencil (contains beeswax) – not vegan
- Iron Strength Nail Hardener (contains hydrolyzed silk) – not vegan
- Kohl Kajal (contains beeswax) – not vegan
- Lashes To Kill Pro Instant Volume Mascara 24h Waterproof (contains beeswax) – not vegan
- Lashes to Kill Ultrablack Mascara (contains beeswax) – not vegan
- Lashes To Kill Waterproof Volume Mascara (contains beeswax) – not vegan
- Lip Sugar Scrub And Balm (contains honey) – not vegan
- Lip Super Serum (contains honey) – not vegan
- Lip Treatment (contains beeswax) – not vegan
- Liquid Camouflage – High Coverage Concealer (contains beeswax) – not vegan
- Prime And Fine Aqua Fresh Hydro Primer – not vegan
- Prime and Fine Multitalent Lip Primer (contains beeswax) – not vegan
- Rock Couture Extreme Volume Mascara 24h Waterproof (contains beeswax) – not vegan
- Strobing Blush (contains carmine) – not vegan
- The Blazing Bronze Collection Eyeshadow Palette (contains carmine) – not vegan
- The Edgy Lilac Collection Eyeshadow Palette (contains carmine) – not vegan
- The Fresh Nude Collection Eyeshadow Palette (contains carmine) – not vegan
- The Little Black One Volume Mascara True Black – not vegan
- The Little Black One Volume Mascara Waterproof – not vegan
- The Modern Matt Collection Eyeshadow Palette (contains carmine) – not vegan
- Velvet Matt Lip Cream (contains beeswax) – not vegan
- Volumizing Lip Soufflé (contains beeswax and carmine) – not vegan
Similar to ‘Cruelty-Free,’ there is no standard or legal definition for the label ‘Vegan.’ But it’s usually used in the context to describe something that doesn’t contain any animal-derived ingredients or animal by-products.
Some common animal products used in cosmetics include carmine, lanolin, snail mucus, beeswax, honey, pearl or silk-derived ingredients, animal-based glycerin, keratin, and squalene.
There are plant-based and synthetic alternatives to animal-derived ingredients. But it’s sometimes difficult to know with certainty whether a product is vegan just by reading the ingredient list.
So it’s best to ask the company and manufacturers to ensure the ingredients they’ve chosen to use were from non-animal sources.
Where are Catrice’s products made?
“The majority of our products are produced in Europe but some are produced abroad. If you have questions about where specific items were manufactured, just ask and we will let you know!”
*Note: Cosmetics made in China are not required to be tested on animals. Only cosmetics that are imported and sold in physical stores in mainland China are required to be tested on animals according to China’s animal testing laws.
Ethical Mica Mining Policy
Mica is a mineral that’s used in cosmetics to add a shimmery effect. But the mining of natural mica has been linked to child labor and human rights violations.
Unless the company discloses its mica mining policy, we have no way of knowing whether its mica is ethically sourced without child or forced labor.
So I asked Catrice if their mica is ethically sourced without the use of child labor and they responded by stating,
“Thanks so much for taking the time to reach out to us about such an important issue. At Catrice, we take the problem of child labor very seriously and feel it is our duty to ensure that no child labor is involved at any point in the supply chain of our products.
In order to be able to guarantee this, we devote our attention closely to the origin of our natural mica and communicate frequently with our suppliers, both private label manufacturers and raw material suppliers. Raw material suppliers that do not offer us the required degree of transparency are no longer taken into account when new projects are awarded.
We have been supporting the sustainable mining of natural mica since 2016 in cooperation with an NGO with the goal of supporting local social projects and improving the living conditions of the population and in particular those of the children in India. We also joined the Responsible Mica Initiative(RMI) in July 2017.
We are dedicated to the shared goal of eradicating child labor and unacceptable working conditions within the beauty industry.”
I hope this article helped you to understand Catrice’s cruelty-free and vegan status and by choosing cruelty-free together, we can help end animal testing for cosmetics once and for all!